Research Medical Center Central Utility Plant
Kansas City, MO
SYSTEM TYPES: central utility plant; boilers; chillers; electrical distribution and feeders; Aquatherm pipe; lighting and power; building automation system
SERVICES PROVIDED: Mechanical Construction; Electrical Construction; Plumbing, Pipe, and Electrical Fabrication; Virtual Design & Construction
LOCATION: Kansas City, MO
Owner: HCA, Inc.
Architect: SWD Architects
Engineer: Hoss and Brown
Retrofit projects like the Research Medical Center/Brookside Central Plant in Kansas City can be challenging, but thanks to P1 Group’s Virtual Design Construction (VDC) and fabrication capabilities, P1 was able to move this project toward completion with efficiency.
This design-build project entailed transforming existing space at the RMC campus into a newly functioning central plant that will provide chilled water and steam for approximately 196,000 sq. ft. of medical office space and 40,000 sq. ft. of hospital space.
Of note, P1 used economical and non-corrosive Aquatherm Blue Pipe in combination with welded steel pipe, all of which was fabricated in our Lawrence, KS fabrication facility.
- 3 200-horsepower Hurst boilers
- 3 400-ton Trane chillers
- 3-cell SPX cooling tower
- Hybrid welded steel/fused Aquatherm polypropylene pipe (welded in shop, bolted on site)
- 500KW emergency generator
- Automatic transfer switches with isolation/bypass abilities
- New electrical switchboard and electrical distribution equipment
- New service feeders + new electrical feeders to equipment (chillers, boilers, pumps, etc.)
- New lighting & general power
- Extension and additions to existing Siemens Fire Alarm System