OVERLAND PARK, Kan. – On July 26, P1 Group Vice President Paul Smith was one of two MCA-KC instructors who conducted a seminar on “What Every Contractor Should Know about Foreman Certification Training” to an audience of about 30 project engineers, project managers, and owners.
The seminar provided an overview of the Foreman Certification Training material taught to fifth-year apprentices in both Local 8 and Local 533. The class is also open to journey persons in both locals. The purpose of this session was to help the attendees understand the curriculum, and give them insight into the training process and the opportunity it gives us to work together with our labor partners in educating our current and future field leaders.
The curriculum for this course was jointly developed by the Mechcanical Contractors Association of America (MCAA) and United Association (UA). P1 Group CEO Smitty Belcher was on the board that developed the course curriculum.
- UA Standard for Excellence
- What is a Foreman
- Market Share, Labor Union Demographics, and Cost of a Labor Hour
- Changing Old Ideas/Metrics of a Healthy Union
- Leadership and Motivation
- Image, Behavior, and Professionalism
- Disputes, Conflicts, and Negotiation
- Planning and Scheduling
- Documentation and Recordkeeping
- Material Handling and Site Planning
- Subcontractors and Suppliers
- Job Cost Control and Labor Tracking
- Change Orders
For more information about the Mechanical Contractors Association of Kansas City: http://www.mcakc.org/